Sachin’s 40th birthday was quite an awaited event for all the fans of the “King of Batting Records!” Like other brands we too were waiting for that date to run a contest on Twitter to celebrate the little master’s birthday.
But we got a shock to see there was another brand which started running an isometric contest with the exactly same concept! 40 trivia questions associated with Sachin’s life. It was a preemptive strike as it was launched two days before the actual birthday, anticipating a flood of contests perhaps.
The bad part was, I had to go back to the drawing board to ‘create’ another set of 40 questions which were not asked by the other brand/brands. The good part was, it forced me to think out of the box and our participants really enjoyed the questions we asked.
One thing that I didn’t change was our hashtag, #SachinBabaChaalisMore, inspired by the famous story of “Ali Baba Chaalis Chor.” The key word was of course “Chaalis” (forty in Hindi/Urdu) considering this would be his 40th birthday, we are asking 40 questions with a prize money of 40K INR.
We decided to spread this contest over three days as running contests, unlike what most people imagine, is a very time consuming task. With more than 10,000 tweets coming, it is tough to keep pace with them.
Majority of the questions were formed purely from memory. Of course, I did recheck the facts. Others came through digging through Google and a lot of number crunching analysis.
End of the day, it all worked out great as ours was the biggest trending contest in spite of huge competition from other very similar contests running parallel to ours. Credit for this goes to the rocking followers of our twitter handle!
Some important points:-
1. We trended in India for around 39 hours over three days! (We got trending within first 20 minutes of starting the contest, as soon as we asked the first question.) Reached number one position on the second day in India.
2. Total number of tweets including #SachinBabaChaalisMore: 14,641 Tweets
3. Total number of participants or Twitter users: 1520 users
4. Total reach: 1.43 Million (Total followers of the above 1520 users)
5. Timeline deliveries (Impressions): 11.41 Million
6. @Yebhi mentioned in 13,106 Tweets.
7. No. of people having 10,000+ followers who tweeted: 17
8. No. of people having 1,00,000+ followers who tweeted: 2
9. We increased our followers by about 10% approximately.
11. Another interesting info:-
Poonam Pandey, India Today, AajTak, Max Television, Bajaj Allianz, Lipton were some of the notable Twitter handles which tweeted with our hashtag.
12. At the highest point, we were getting 32 Tweets/Minute having #SachinBabaChaalisMore
So friends, keep an eye on @Yebhi as another wonderful contest is coming up soon!